FTI Belman Milestones
John Christie spent his entire working life in telecommunications. In 1955 he started at the British Post Office (BPO) as an apprentice in his home town, close to Glasgow, Scotland. BPO at that time was the telecom company for England and Scotland.
At eighteen he was drafted for National Service. He decided to join the Royal Signals of the British Army, and ended up in East Africa. Upon completing his service, he returned home to Scotland only to travel back to Africa once again to further advance his telecom career. John moved from Africa to Saudi Arabia with Rockwell-Collins Radio (A Texas based company), then finally arrived in Texas. Here he co-founded Field Telecomms Inc. in May of 1982 in partnership with Earl Browning, a native Texan. Eventually, they parted ways, and John continued with FTI. Through trial and tribulation, success and failure, FTI established itself as a successful and respected telecommunications “Engineer, Furnish & Install” (EF & I) firm.
John was trained in a multitude of telecom technologies, and was a highly skilled professional in microwave, switching, cellular, and DC power systems. He understood that a quality installation led to a system’s performance, long life and most importantly, great customer relations. He was an expert at the EF & I of DC power, cell sites and switch centers. He was always inventing tools and developing innovative systems that made installations safer, faster, and of the highest quality. John did this knowing that the extra mile would increase customer loyalty and satisfaction.
The success of FTI is due to common goals established by John and taught to his employees. He was a great mentor to his entire staff. John’s philosophy of FTI being a company that takes care of its employees, shares in profit and continually trains in the newest technology continues today. FTI Belman is well known in the industry as one of the best!
Quality of product and service always comes before profit. Johns and FTI Belman’s mission statement was always “to provide quality service through quality training, management and personnel”; with the expectations that the profits would follow. That theory held true then, and remains true today. In an industry of constant technological change, FTI Belman keeps pace with up to date training programs, and remains at the ready to meet any challenge.
John passed away on September the 7th 2015. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him. His ideals, vison, and legacy will continue to live on through the dedicated employees of FTI Belman.
“Gus am bris an là, agus an teich na sgàilean.”
The FTI Belman timeline:
- 1982 Founder John Christie began Field Telecomms Incorporated in May
- 1982-1985 Responsible for the build out of the first MTX Shelters for NTI and Ericsson
- 1985-1989 Long distance build out for MCI and Sprint
- 1989-1990 Built Nortel/BNR Lab in Richardson, TX.
- 1990-2001 Commissioning Nortel’s DMS switches
- 1998-2001 Implemented & managed FTI’s Nortel DMS training center in Plano, TX
- 2001-2004 Build out of Nokia ‘Core’ system for Cingular, T-Mobile & Advanced Wireless Services
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts for Cingular Wireless & other customer sites
- 2005-2008 Build out Alcatel-Lucent NGN (Atrium) Products
- 2006-2011 EF & I Small, Medium & Large DC Power Systems for Verizon Wireless & T-Mobile
- 2006-2008 Developed FTI’s Engineering Department
- 2007-2009 Data Center for Verizon, Southlake TX – Major Infrastructure & DC Power Expansion project
- 2009-2016 Hold Master Service Agreement for Survey and Maintenance all of T-Mobile’s Switch Facilities CAD Drawings
- 2009-2016 NSN MSA to EF & I, Commission and trouble shoot ‘core’ system for all T-Mobile US sites
- 2010-2013 Worked with Nokia, Alcatel-Lucent & Flash on 4G CO EF & I projects nationally
- 2010-2015 Facilitated Flash & Verizon system upgrade to include EF & I of over 25 locations nationwide
- 2013 AT&T National cell site battery upgrade project
- 2013 Completed Training/ Rack & Stack Lab
- 2014-2015 In partnership with Alpha Technologies, upgraded the Critical power systems for TWC in the Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas markets
- 2015 NSN MSA to EF & I, Commission and trouble shoot ‘core’ system for all I-Wireless US sites
- 2015-2016 Awarded a multi-year MSA through a value add partner for AT&T cell site battery replacements nation wide
- 2015-2017 Commencement of nationwide updates. Since the merger of Metro PCS and T-Mobile multiple changes to Switch Facilities require creation of new CAD Rack Face Elevation Drawings
- 2015 Management buyout in Q4. New acquisition under FTI Belman sanctions new investor opportunity and secures continued employee-run expertise
- 2015 Company name rebranded to FTI Belman
- 2016 Achieved Avetta certification
- 2017 Existing projects to complete and exciting new ventures anticipated